Yay! Today is March 17…”Everyone Loves Amie” Day!!!
What? It’s not?!? With so many of my favorite things going on today, I just assumed… Oops! I’m so embarrassed. Well, while I hide my face in prideful shame, I can at least tell you why I love St. Patrick’s Day:
- Green, green, green! I love it; it’s everywhere today. ‘Nuff said.
- The leprechaun, because nothing beats a little man with a pot ‘o gold.
- I can yell, “Pale kids unite!” today, and no one looks at me strangely. I can actually make friends with other pigmentally-challenged folks like myself.
- Because, every year this resurfaces: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8&sns=fb
- It was a bully free day when I was younger. St. Patrick’s Day was the only day of the year when it was actually cool to have red hair and green eyes. Take that, blondie!
- Shamrocks! You have to love a plant used to explain the complexities that is the Holy Trinity. Ooooh, now I get it! 3 in 1!
- And, of course…St. Patrick! He’s actually a really cool guy. Read his story here or here. Kidnapping, slavery, conversions…oh my! He also held women in high regard, saying of them, “But it is the women kept in slavery who suffer the most–and who keep their spirits up despite the menacing and terrorizing they must endure. The Lord gives grace to His many handmaids; and though they are forbidden to do so, they follow Him with backbone.”
Now, I know a lot of people are excited about other aspects of St. Patrick’s Day, such as green beer, parades, and pinching. But, we just celebrated Mardi Gras, so it pales in comparison with regards to drunken stupidity.
Let’s end with one of St. Patrick’s prayers, shall we?
May the Strength of God pilot us.
May the Power of God preserve us.
May the Wisdom of God instruct us.
May the Hand of God protect us.
May the Way of God direct us.
May the Shield of God defend us.
May the Host of God guard us.
Against the snares of the evil ones.
Against the temptations of the world.
May Christ be with us!
May Christ be before us!
May Christ be in us,
Christ be over all!
May Thy Salvation, Lord,
Always be ours,
This day, O Lord, and evermore. Amen.